Volunteer - Join the Mission!
Service Dog Summer School (June-August)
- Make a service dog in training part of your family for the summer
- Follow PSD's service dog rules
- Two training sessions a month (Ocala, Orlando, Coco Beach)
- Apply before May 10th
- Orientation Meeting: May 27
- Dogs delivered to homes: May 28-June 3
- Summer School Graduation: August 6th
- Help change the life of a veteran
- Support a local nonprofit organization
- Join a community of volunteers
- All the puppy cuddles!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Patriot Service Dogs! Our mission depends on volunteers.
Our application and information on applying is below, but please read the following information first!
Most PSD volunteers are Puppy Raisers. We offer several options for time commitments, ranging from a year or more to a few days at a time. All raisers are expected to provide a loving home committed to training a service dog for a veteran. PSD covers all of the dog's expenses, but training commitments vary based on the length of time volunteers are interested in raising. At a minimum, raisers will attend one in-person training a month and one video check-in a month. Here are the options:
- Long-Term Puppy Raising (1 year+)
- Seasonal Puppy Raising (Approx. 4 months)
- Mid-Term Puppy Raising (1-2 months)
- Shared Raising (Teams of two raisers split the responsibilities of puppy raising, minimum 2 months)
- First Steps Raiser: (2 weeks on/2 weeks off with puppies under 8 months)
We also offer volunteer positions for events and will consider volunteers with special skills relevant to running a non-profit organization on an individual basis, but these positions are limited.
Important: Puppy Raisers must be able to physically manage a large breed dog. All of our dogs are young, large breed dogs. Volunteers help train them when they are still puppies, so they will not be perfect service dogs. Please be realistic about the dogs and your own abilities before applying. Unfortunately, we cannot accept raiser applications from people who cannot safely manage the dogs. If you are unsure of your physical ability, feel free to contact us before applying.
Have questions? See the FAQ below or contact us!
Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 352-626-2305
If you are a part of a group, club, school or other organization interested in working with Patriot Service Dogs, please contact us to see how we can work together! We are always looking for ways to reach the community.
- Who are we looking for?
We are looking for people willing to give their love, time, and commitment. Couples, families, and single people are all welcome! Households with pets are welcome, but no more than two dogs.
*Applicants must be able to physically manage a large breed dog.
- Can I pick which dog I raise?
No. We will match raisers and dogs based on the home situation and the dogs’ personalities.
- Do I need dog training experience?
No, just a willingness to learn! If you do have previous dog training experience, we will expect you to follow our rules and methods, even if they differ from what you’ve previously been taught.
- What if I can’t take a dog for the whole time or will be away during part of that time?
We are happy to work with volunteers and their schedules. For example, if you're going on vacation, we will schedule the dog to go for training in our WOOF prison program.